Followers

Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Inaugural Top 5: Bad Boys From My Youth

So, here we are with something I babble on about a lot in everyday conversation. I love top 5s, top 10s, top 20s, etc. Yeah, I'm a dork. Or am I a geek? Nerd?
Whatever, the point is that I was pondering my stunningly terrible taste in men and have come to see that I can blame all my poor choices in matters of the heart on the guys I watched in tv and film as a kid and teenager. Even more telling is the fact that the characters I swooned over and thought were just the dreamiest, most awesome, hot, amazing, you name it, guys out there were REALLY damaged!
Is it disturbing that I am grinning ear to ear over this?
In any case, here are my:

Top 5 Bad Boys Who Guaranteed That My Taste In Men Will Forever Suck!

In no particular order by the way...
1. John Bender ~ The Breakfast Club
As a preteen and then a teen, this guy was the epitome of SWOON for me. He was a mouthy smartass who defied authority, picked on the popular girl, was vulnerable, and had great fashion sense. Now that I am a mom, I think I would probably have a heart attack if my daughter brought him home and introduced him as her 'friend'. 
Some of John Bender's greatest hits:


2. Mark Hunter aka Hard Harry ~ Pump Up The Volume
Okay, it can be argued that Hard Harry may not have been that bad of a character for me to crush on as a teen. Yes, he fought against conformity, yes he stood up for the little guy, yes he had kickass taste in music. He also hangs out all by himself in his room ALL the time, runs a pirate radio station, and encourages kids to act out in ways that MAYBE aren't the most conducive to making it through the teen years in good shape. I mean, I personally think to this day that the guy is awesome, and if my daughter brought HIM home I likely would be thrilled. The kid was SMART and, again, had great taste in music. That said, he definitely steered me towards guys for whom rules are more of a suggestion.
Hard Harry getting 'er done:

3. Billy the Kid ~ Young Guns
Do I really need to elaborate on why this wasn't a great film object of my affection?

4. Any of the vampires ~ The Lost Boys
Aaaaah, the mullets, the flashy clothes, the attitudes! Honestly, I adored all the guys in this movie (except Sam and Michael; they annoyed the piss out of me), even the Frog Brothers. If I HAD to pick a favourite, I think it would be David. He was just SO damned sexy, evil, and sadistic; in other words, just the kind of guy to get my little adolescent heart beating a lot faster.
Obligatory overly-dramatic mvid:

5. Mr Spock ~ Star Trek
Leonard Nimoy's Spock, to be precise. No offence to Zach Quinto, but Nimoy was THE Spock who fueled my preteen/teen fantasies. Looking back, I think a lot of my 'issues' stem from this particular crazed fandom.  I mean, if one were to look up 'emotionally unavailable' in the dictionary, I am pretty sure we would see a picture of this guy. Honourable, handsome, intelligent, resourceful, and totally incapable of returning the love offered to him by various women over the years.
Spock.... mmmmm.....

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment